There are at times when you paste a paragraph from another document to your Microsoft Word. Or when you work on a document sent by someone else, you do not get to see the red lines underneath the misspelled words as you usually get to see them. And this can be a trouble for you since you want to create the perfect document without any typos. So the question is how to fix spell check not working in word issue?
Well, this is one of the most common issues faced by many people out there. And you are not the only person who is facing so. However, the good part is that fixing this issue is not as hard as it seems. You can simply go ahead and fix the issue by following easy methods:
Without wasting more of your time, let’s get straight toward fixes.
Spell check not working in word – Fixes
Fix 1: Unchecking Detecting Language Automatically
Microsoft word has this feature, which automatically detects the language you are inputting in. And it tries to correct them accordingly. It is a pretty amazing feature for many writers out there. However, this feature also causes numerous issues that users like you and I have to face and then wonder why is spell check not working in word? Isn’t it?
To get rid of this, we can simply try disabling this feature and see if it has fixed the issue for us or not. However, in case if you are using a normal language like English, this feature would not cause any trouble, though. But let’s just go ahead and disable it:
- First of all, open the document.
- Then select all the texts by simply pressing CTRL + A button.
- Now from the above menu, click on the Review tab.
- From here, select Set Language and select “Set Proofing Language”.
- Over here, you will have to uncheck the “Do not check spelling or grammar” and “Detect language automatically” option and click OK to save the changes.
Below is the screenshot of the same for your better understanding.
Now go ahead and check if you are still getting the “spell check not working in word” issue or not.
Fix 2: Changing Exceptions
There is another feature in Microsoft Word which allows you to include an exception from all the proofreading and spell checks. This is an important feature for those writers who do not want their work to be checked. As they want to use custom language their work. In case if your document is also listed as an exception, then the spell check might not work on your computer. To fix this, you can follow these steps:
- First of all, select all the texts present in the document.
- Then go to the Review tab from the top of the screen.
- Now go to languages and select “Language Preferences”.
- After that, click on Proofing and go to the end of the options. Over here, uncheck the option that says “Hide spelling errors in this document only” and “Hide grammar errors in this document only”.
Next, click on OK to save the changes. Now, restart MS word and open the doc again, and your “Spell check not working in word” issue should be resolved by now.
Fix 3: Disable “Do not check spelling or grammar” Option
The above 2 methods will definitely solve spell check not working issue, but if it still didn’t work for you, worry not! We have one more final fix that will most probably fix it.
Another thing that you can do is disable Do not check spelling or grammar option. There is a feature included in the Microsoft Word which stops the application from checking the spelling and grammar for certain words. So you can ensure that a specific misspelling is not detected by the software. This feature is useful for many users out there.
However, in case if you have edited the settings and configured the feature indirectly. Then you can try disabling it and see if this works or not.
- So at first, open the document.
- Now select some specific word that is not being shown in the spell-check.
- Then press Shift + F1.
- Next, click on Language and a dialog similar to the Fix 1 will appear on your screen. From here, uncheck the “Do not check spelling or grammar” option.
- Finally, click on OK, and your Spell check not working in word error should be fixed.
So that it was all the fixes for Spell check not working in word. Now go ahead and try these fixes out. Also, even after trying all the above methods, if nothing works out for you. Then you can copy all the text from that document to a new document. And it should ultimately fix the spell check not working in word issue.
Plus, if there’s anything you would like to ask me. Then do feel free to drop a comment below.